Prep time: about 20 minutes
- 2 9-oz. packages of fresh ravioli
- 2 small jars roasted red peppers
- 1/2 c. walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
- about 1/2 c. fresh basil, chopped
- 2/3 c. olive oil for mixture
- olive oil for frying
- Place peppers, walnuts, cheese, and basil in blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Slowly drizzle in olive oil and continue to puree. Set mixture aside.
- Heat a small amount of olive oil in a large pan.* When olive oil is bubbling, spread ravioli in pan. When bottoms of ravioli are browned, bubbly, and a bit crunchy (after about 2 minutes), flip them over.
- Fry other side of ravioli. When ravioli are finished, spread them on paper towels to drain extra oil.
- Spread ravioli and red pepper pesto mixture on plates.
*Note: You can also boil ravioli in water instead of frying to cut some of the fat.
Serving size: 3/4 c.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
14 g protein
52 g fat
36 g carbohydrate
2 g fiber
31 mg cholesterol
782 mg sodium
235 mg calcium
1.6 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
If you don't have a pan that will hold all the ravioli at one time, preheat the oven to a very low temperature (or the "hold warm" setting) before you begin the recipe. After draining the oil from the first batch of ravioli, keep them warm on a plate in the oven while you fry the next batch. If you like, sprinkle dish with Parmesan cheese before serving.